Tuesday, May 09, 2006

PROLOGUE: A Voodoo Love Letter

The block that I chose for my final project is one that has been the stage for many dramatic moments in my life since moving to Philadelphia five years ago. It is the block that lies northwest of the intersection of 2nd St. and Fairmount Avenue. This block is in a molting phase right now. Every time I visit it, something has changed. There are high rises going up where once there was just empty lots. The streets have been repaved and had lanes and parking spots painted in. There are new businesses opening, as well as long dormant ones reopening. The character of the entire neighborhood is changing rapidly, so it seemed like a good time for me to personally say good-bye to what it once was, and honor some very hilarious, sometimes dangerous, and occasionally heartwarming (sorry, Hana) incidents from a misspent late youth.

My vehicle for this memoriam is a voodoo doll of myself which will become a semi-permanent observer of the neighborhood's activities. I will tell you three stories that share a narrative arc, if you squint. Each story will generate an object that will be magically charged by the tales telling. The objects will be placed within the chest cavity of the doll, which will be "buried" in a cleverly urban way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home